Want smoother, firmer and younger looking skin? Before you inject Botox in your face or pay a surgeon to cut and pull your skin back, why not try something less radical… like some changes to your diet!
In this article you’ll discover some of the best foods you can eat to maintain healthy, vibrant, radiating, glowing skin. These foods have one thing in common. Something that’s absolutely crucial to having this age defying glowing skin. They boost collagen!
What is collagen in the first place and why do we need it? Collagen is a protein used by ourselves that helps keep the skin flexible, stretchable and keep it together.
Collagen and your skin
There are 25 different types of collagen in the body. Twelve of those are used for the skin. As we age, unfortunately collagen isn’t used as effectively and you can actually damage your skin causing wrinkles, blemishes, sunspots, different things of that nature.
The good news is there a lot of all natural ways to keep your collagen young, youthful, glowing so that your skin maintains that youthful vigor that everyone wants.
Your skin consists of three different layers. The outer part, epidermis contains the skin cells, the pigment and the proteins. The middle part, the dermis, contains blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles and oil glands. The dermis provides to the epidermis. The inner layer under the dermis, the subcutaneous layer, contains the sweat glands, some hair follicles, blood vessels and the fat.
Skin changes are often determined by the sun, the food that we eat, genetic makeup, there’s all types of things, internal and external, that will actually influence and change your skin. One of these, and it’s a biggie, is the food you eat.
The anti-aging business spends billions and billions of dollars trying to keep people looking young. There’s no shortage of creams, powders and tablets on the market, supposed to help revers aging. Some of them may even work. Pretty much all of them, however, come at a hefty price!
The good news is that some simple diet changes can potentially have a big impact on the health and the appearance of your skin. There are certain all-natural foods that will boost collagen. You probably have some of them in your fridge or kitchen kabinet right now.
Collagen boosting foods
Here are some of the best collagen boosting foods you can eat if you want firmer, smoother, healthier and more radiant skin:
- Flax seed
- Red lentils
- Hummus, chickpeas are great for collagen production
- Bone broth
- Blueberries, also try them in your muffins or your healthy protein shakes
- Raspberries, delicious as a healthy snack or in your anti-aging smoothies
- Oranges, loaded with vitamin C, lots of micronutrients, great for collagen production.
- Lemons, try starting your day with this drink
- Red pepper
- Sprouts, in this article we talked about the anti-aging benefits of broccoli. Did you know there are more nutrients in a single broccoli sprout than there is on a whole head of broccoli?
- (Red) kale
- Eggs, tip: Want to know if an egg is good or bad? Drop it in a glass of water! If it floats, it’s bad because little packets of air form in the actual egg white and in the yolk so it’s gonna float. If it’s good it sinks.
- Grass-fed beef
- Salmon, full of healthy Omega 3’s and loaded with enzymes and the aminos that you need to form collagen.
- Green tea
Eating these foods on a regular basis will provide you with the 12 amino acids are the core components of collagen producing aminos. Eat lots of this stuff and your skin will look more vibrant and it will glow like never before. Not just that, you’ll also feel absolutely amazing and you’ll age more gracefully if you add more of these nutrient dense foods to your menu.
Collagen boosting juice recipe
Want to supercharge your collagen production? Here’s a collagen boosting juice recipe you can try:
- Handful of cabbage
- Two carrots
- Handful of kale
- Handful of spinach
- One peeled orange
- One lemon
- Two tablespoons of collagen powder
Juice the ingredients or, better yet, put them in a blender, add some water and blend them into a potent skin rejuvenating smoothie.