Do you often find yourself skipping workouts because you just can’t find the time to squeeze them into your busy schedule? These super fast mini-workouts are perfect way to get in a body sculpting, fat burning workout… even if you have just 10 minutes to spare.
These workouts are probably a lot different than anything you’ve tried before. They are great for busy people who don’t have the time to go to the gym. You can do them at home or pretty much anywhere else (even at the office). They only use bodyweight exercises so you won’t need any equipment.
These workouts are the brain child of certified personal trainer and nutrition specialist Mike Geary. He’s the creator of ‘The Truth About Six-Pack Abs’, a program that has been getting real people real results for many years now.
How it works
Instead of doing traditional 45-60 minute workouts at the gym 3-4 times a week, these workouts consist of short 2-3 minute bursts of bodyweight exercises. You will several of these short workouts (6-8) throughout the day, for 5 days per week.
This will actually save you time compared to doing typical 45-60 minute workouts 3 days per week.
What are the benefits?
First of all they save you a lot of time. Besides that, these workouts will lead to an increased production of growth hormone (the “youth hormone”) in your body.
Studies show that just a few 30-second “bursts” of extremely high intensity exercise (like these mini-workouts) can stimulate growth hormone.
Doing these short workouts multiple times per day provides you with more opportunities to trigger growth hormone release than just one longer workout per day would.
How to do the Mini-Workouts
Each of these short workouts consists of 1-4 (depending on the exercise) sets of a single bodyweight exercise. These two sets should take 2-3 minutes to complete. The goal is to do 6-8 of these short workouts throughout the day, with 1 or 2 hours between workouts.
For example, you could do them at 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, and 4 pm.
Some of the best bodyweight exercises to use for these workouts are:
- bodyweight squats
- push-ups (and variations)
- lunges (forward, reverse, or walking)
- Planks (holding the plank position from forearms and feet)
- Sprinting up & down a staircase (if one is available)
- One-legged bodyweight Romanian deadlifts
If you want to keep it really simple you can stick to just squats, lunges, and push-ups and you can still get great results.
For more exercises to add to your routine check out these lists of bodyweight exercises:
- Best upper body bodyweight exercises
- Best bodyweight leg exercises
- Best full body exercises without weights
Example workout routine
You can adjust the reps base on your capabilities.
- 9 am – 2 sets of 6 fwd lunges for each leg
- 10 am – 2 sets of one legged Romanian deadlifts 6 each leg
- 11 am – 4 sets of 3 fwd lunges each leg/3 rev lunges
- 1 pm – 4 sets of one legged bw Romanian deadlifts 3 each leg
- 2 pm – 3 sets of 5 fwd lunges each leg/5 rev lunges
- 3 pm – 1 set of one legged bw Romanian deadlifts 10 each leg
- 4 pm – 1 set of max fwd lunges each leg/max rev lunges
- 9 am – 2 sets of 10 push-ups/15 bodyweight squats
- 10 am – plank holds (hold the plank position for as long as you can, taking short rest breaks for a total of 3 minutes)
- 11 am – 4 sets of 5 push-ups/10 bodyweight squats
- 1 pm – plank holds (hold as long as possible in 3 minutes)
- 2 pm – 3 sets of 8 push-ups/12 bodyweight squats
- 3 pm – plank holds (hold as long as possible in 3 minutes)
- 4 pm – one set of max push-ups/max bodyweight squats
The great thing about these workouts is that they are intense enough to get your blood pumping, heart rate up and a large portion of your body’s muscles worked in just 2-3 short minutes. However, they usually don’t cause you to break a sweat. This means you can easily go about your day after doing them without having to worry too much about sweating.
In order to keep progressing on these workouts, you can:
- add 1 or 2 reps to each set per week
- progress to more difficult exercises (for example instead of regular push-ups you could do close grip push-ups or one leg raised push-ups etc.).
The routines above are just an example of how you can use this very unique workout method. By using your creativity and picking other exercises from the links mentioned above you can easily come up with your own workouts.
These “mini” workouts may be short, but by doing them 6-8 times per day you were still able to do lots of repetitions for almost every muscle throughout your entire body. And all that without even breaking a sweat!
Congratulations! You’ve accomplished a lot! You’ve increased your heart rate, pumped up your muscles multiple times throughout each day, increased your production of growth hormone, burned a lot of extra calories and stimulated your metabolism. Not bad for just 20 minutes of exercise!
If you want to learn more about Mike Geary’s Truth about Six-Pack Abs program, he’s offering a limited trial that allows you to test-drive it for 3 weeks.